Action Corner: Global Grassroots
Global Grassroots’ longest running WASH team Hard Workers has been continuously operating since 2008. The venture has tripled in size since it began operations, expanding from a simple rainwater catchment project serving 100 households to three water points, with a total of six water storage tanks, serving 9,000 people and ensuring the protection of sexually exploited disabled women. The social impact Hard Workers has had on the community is astounding and the multiple ripples of their impact continue. From profits from water sales, the team:
- provides school fees for 30 vulnerable children (the number of children sponsored increases yearly)
- teaches hygiene and sanitation, resulting in an 80% increase in proper hygiene
- has nearly eradicated sexual violence and exploitation related to water access
- reports that 80% of children now attend school
- pays health workers to make house-to-house visits to ensure child and maternal health
Project leader Seraphine has spoken on the radio about water issues, was invited to Kenya to share their solution, and was recognized by the government as an example of women serving other women in their communities. based on our case study of Hard Workers, in 2009 Global Grassroots was selected as a semi-finalist for the Kyoto World Water Prize for our model of catalyzing grassroots-level, women-led social ventures. But what is most remarkable about this team is that of its 17 members, only 7 are literate – and Seraphine is a mother of eight children and has only a first grade education. Once living on the edge of survival, Hard Workers are now seen as the first to bring development to their remote community and are asked to advise regularly on other areas of local need.
Vulnerable women – of all ages – need your help to transform their communities and their lives
- Click here and make a gift to support a women-led water team or our young women’s program.
- Consider how much you spend each week on bottled water. Then consider donating that amount just once a month as a recurring donor to Global Grassroots.
Every gift to Global Grassroots, regardless of size, is important and appreciated. Thank you!